Thursday 20 December 2012

Christmas Breakfast


Today I woke to a land of white. To some of you, this may not seem like a big deal but where I'm from, this is a MIRACLE! There was seriously a blizzard outside all morning! I was overjoyed but I knew I had limited time to enjoy the snow since it would probably start raining by noon. First I took my dog for a walk in the snow, then I went for a walk and took some pretty pictures of the snow. Once I got home, it was time for breakfast. This breakfast had to be special and christmasy to match the snow. So I decided on cranberry-orange oatmeal. And... IT WAS AWESOME!!! The flavours were so christmasy it just filled me with joy as my mom and I sat eating, looking out at the ever-falling snow. And so, I thought I'd share it with you :) Afterall, christmas is all about sharing and spreading holiday cheer isnt it? 



Okie dokie. So this makes two good sized and filling servings.

Ingredients:
-2 1/4 cups water
-1/4 tsp salt
-2/3 cup steel cut or other longer-cooking oats *see note
-1/4 cup bran flakes
-1/2 to 1 cup fresh cranberries
-zest of 1/2 orange
-2 tbsp coconut
-2 tbsp brown sugar

Bring your water to a boil. Add in everything else and cook according to the oatmeal package instructions. Now just sweeten it more to taste; add milk if thats how you like it; watch some falling snow, or if there is none go eat in front of your Christmas tree and enjoy the holidays. 

No comments:

Post a Comment